Thursday, March 27, 2014

Mamidikaya Pappu - Raw Mango Dal


The best thing I like about summer in India is 'MANGO'. We missed mangoes for two seasons when we were in Milan. This year in Hyderabad, I am getting ready to dig myself into mangoes. 
Mango dal is my favotite among all dal variants. This is the season's first mango dal I made. This is best when served with hot rice. I don't need anything else, if there is mamidikaya pappu in my menu. The tangy flavor of this makes me literally lick my plate. 



Enough of my mouth watering lines, will take you to my mom's recipe now.

Ingredients
1 cup tur dal
1 medium to big raw mango chopped (I like it real tangy)
2 green chillies
salt to taste
1-2 cups water (as required)
For tempering:
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 dry red chillies
4-5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 springs of curry leaves
2 tsp oil

Method
  • Wash the tur dal in a bowl, add sufficient water and place in the preasure cooker with a lid on .
  • In another small bowl, add mango pieces and slit green chillies. Place this bowl over the dal bowl.(no need to cover this)
  • Cover the pressure cooker with its lid and cook until 4-5 whistles.
  • Remove the cooker lid (once after the steam is escaped) and mash the dal.
  • Heat oil in a small frying pan, add mustard seeds and as they splutter add cumin seeds, garlic, torn red chilles, curry leaves and stir fry for a minute.
  • Add this to cooked dal along with salt and cooked mango. Combine well and cook for 1-2 min. Set the consistency as desired.
  • Serve with hot rice, papad and with a pinch of love.

Note : For me, dal has to be mushy and so, I don't cook dal and mango together. By adding any sour ingredient while cooking dal, it doesn't cook properly, but, you are always free to cook as you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment