Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Chocolate Cake with Mascarpone Frosting


Happy anniversary to me & my darling hubby :). This was the cake I baked for our anniversary last year. When I asked my hubby which cake he wanted for our special day, he said chocolate. Then I started browsing for the recipe and found this moist cake recipe by Laura Vitale. Of-course, I made lot of changes in the filling and frosting. 

This time of the year, we were in Milan, and I was in love with the mascarpone cheese (Italian cream cheese).
This cake was chocolatti and so I wanted to give a little contrast to the flavor by using mascarpone. I've used mascarpone for the filling and frosting of the cake. Added very little chocolate to the filling so that it goes well with the cake.
I actually baked this cake in a loaf pan but wanted to give it an unusual shape. I was wondering to give it a heart shape but after giving various thoughts, I've cut the cake in oval shape. I've reserved the unwanted cake pieces to make chocolate trifle (nothing to be wasted ) :P



Ingredients:
For the cake:
2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup sunflower oil(any flavorless oil will work)
cup water
2 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp instant espresso powder

For the filling and frosting:
1 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
½ cup powdered sugar (adjust to taste)
1/8 cup melted dark chocolate
½ tsp vanilla extract

For garnish:
Chocolate shavings
Raspberries


Method
  • Preheat your oven to 175 degrees. Grease baking pan, line the bottom with parchment paper and set aside.
  • Add the instant espresso powder in the water and give it a stir and set aside.
  • In a large bowl combine sugar, buttermilk, oil, espresso water, vanilla extract and eggs. Whisk well to combine.
  • Add the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Mix together just to combine but do not over mix.
  • Pour the cake batter in the greased pan (don't panic, batter is runny). Bake in your preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
  • Allow the cake to cool completely.
  • In a bowl whisk the mascarpone cheese and combine sugar, melted chocolate, vanilla.
  • Slice the cake horizontally to make two layers.
  • Place the first layer on a serving plate, spread a little mascarpone mixture over the top. Add the second cake layer.
  • Cover the cake with the remaining frosting. Top with Chocolate shavings and raspberries!
  • Lovely cake is ready for your loved one.


2 comments:

  1. Awesome recepies..very simply written..All dishes look so yummy surely they would be very delicious...thank you for sharing I will try for sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Parul for your boosting comments. Keep visiting the blog and let me know if you are looking for any South Indian Recipe.

    ReplyDelete