Thursday, June 6, 2013

Asparagus in Moong Dal

Asparagus-moong dal

Asparagus is completely a new vegetable for me. I came across this when I was shopping for veggies in Milan. I checked with the vendor on how this is cooked, and got to know that these are usually grilled or just steamed, and topped with some butter, salt and pepper. I am an enthusiast to use new ingredients in my cooking. So, without any second thought, I had taken a bunch of these. 
I grilled some of these with some parmesan cheese (Parmigiano-Reggiano, an Italian cheese), but :( , my hubby hasn't liked the face or taste of the dish.
.  
This time, I wanted to Indianize, to impress him. Two days later, when he returned home from work, I served him dinner (rice, dal and papads). He was eating so calmly that I was disappointed once again, but to my surprise, he literally licked the plate.
Ooh.. he loved it so much that he finished the dinner without even talking. Finally, he asked "what have you added to the dal?". This is what I wanted :)

Ingredients
1/2 cup moong dal
10-12 asparagus, cut into 1/2' pieces
1 medium tomato chopped
1/2 oil tbsp
2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp cumin seeds 
A pinch of asofoetida 
2 slitted green chillies 
Red chilly powder to taste
Salt to taste
Lemon juice to taste

Asparagus in moong dal
 Method                                                                                                            
  • Pressure cook moong dal.
  • Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
  • Add chopped garlic, asofoetida, green chillies and fry.
  • Add chopped tomatoes, mix well and cook covered until tomatoes turn mushy.
  • Now add chopped asparagus and cook till they become soft.
  • Add cooked dal, salt, red chilly powder (if required), mix it well and simmer for 2-3 min.
  • Add lemon juice for extra flavor..                                                                                                                        
Asparagus

No comments:

Post a Comment